September 10, 2015

Story Elements


I always like to start the year with Story Elements in reading. Here is a little peak at what I did this year.


It's no secret that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the book "Where the Wild Things Are". Well usually I wait until the end of the year to dedicate a whole week to doing activities from my Where the Wild Things Are Unit.




This year I COULDN'T WAIT!!! I decided to put my favorite quote up on my wall in the hallway "Let the Wild Rumpus Start." and I had to have something to go under it right!?!?!?!

So I decided I would START the year off with "Where the Wild Things Are" using story elements. 

We read the story then made an anchor chart with all the story elements from the book.


The next day we read the story "When Sophie Gets Angry, Really, Really Angry". The kids got to partner up and talk about the story elements with their partner. We came back to the carpet to share.




We then talked about how in both "Where the Wild Things Are" and "When Sophie Gets Angry, Really, Really Angry", the main character acts wild. We did a little comparing and contrasting the stories, without actually talking about comparing and contrasting. I didn't want to put too much on them in one week, but it was a great way to get them thinking about similarities and differences. 

We then used Amy Lemons' cute Wild Things Freebie, to write about what makes us WILD. Some wrote about things that make them wild in a good way and some wrote about what makes them wild in an angry or crazy way. The kids were so creative. I was very impressed with their writing, especially for the beginning of the school year. We have a long way to go, but they are definitely excited about writing this year!





Now I can use my "Wild Things Activity Set" throughout the whole year!!!! I'm so excited!!!





This was a fun week of Story Elements with one of my favorite books. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 photo about me _zps5a2jcevj.jpg